Council Bluffs Community School District residents voted on September 11, 2018, in favor of the district issuing a General Obligation Bond to fund improvements and renovations at the District’s two middle schools, Kirn and Wilson. Renovations will address areas of concern identified during a year-long facility audit by a committee of teachers, parents, administrators and representatives of an architectural firm:
IMPROVE SECURITY AND SAFETY
- Provide direct visual observation of the main entry point(s), safety vestibule at the main entries, and multiple layers of security within the buildings.
- Make code-mandated upgrades to restrooms, smoke separation walls, exiting paths, and hardware.
- Ensure accessibility for all students, staff and visitors to all building areas, including classrooms, restrooms and improved signage.
- Remove the barrier of steps by relocating the front entrance at Kirn.
- Improve traffic flow by separating parent and bus drop-off zones.
IMPROVE BUILDING SYSTEMS AND ENERGY EFFICIENCY
- Replace/upgrade the mechanical systems to provide increased comfort, improved indoor air quality, and higher efficiency.
- Upgrade plumbing systems; replace plumbing fixtures in restrooms — add fixtures where required and improve access to drinking water.
- Replace/upgrade electrical systems; replace obsolete distribution panels and wiring, remove previously abandoned equipment, upgrade for technology and charging stations.
- Replace and/or upgrade lighting systems; LED fixtures, dimmers, for improved lighting quality and control.
- Replace windows and doors, where needed.
IMPROVE LEARNING ENVIRONMENT
- Add natural daylight where possible.
- Increase the size of some classrooms and re-configure learning spaces.
- Transform auditorium/lecture halls into flexible learning spaces.
- Update interior finishes, including carpet, cabinets, some furnishings
Construction at Kirn will begin in the summer of 2019, and is anticipated to be completed by the fall of 2020. Construction at Wilson will begin in the summer of 2020 and is anticipated be completed by the fall of 2021. During the 2019-20 school year, Kirn will be relocated to the former Target building at the Mall of the Bluffs, which will be transformed into a school so that the renovations can happen at the schools to avoid disruption to the learning environment that construction can cause, to avoid any potential hazards to health and safety. Wilson will use the relocation site at the mall during the 2020-21 school year
Questions? 712-328-6443 or Communications@cb-schools.org
Preliminary Drawings of Proposed Renovations