401 E. Welch
Crescent, IA 51526 (view map)
P (712) 545-3566
F (712) 545-4492

School History

Crescent Elementary School is the heart of the community. In 1902, the community built a two story, four room school, which served children in grades K-12 from Crescent and the surrounding townships. Due to its larger size, many one room schools closed and students were transported to the larger building in Crescent, thus becoming the first school in the area to transport students.

In 1956 the present brick building replaced the old wood structure. Crescent Elementary became part of the Council Bluffs Community School District with the new building. The school currently serves 109 students in grades K-5. The majority of the students arrive daily by school bus.

old1

Mvc-007l

 

 

 

 

 

 

Today, students participate in the basics – reading, writing, and math – plus science, social studies, music, physical education, technology and environmental studies.  In 1995 the students and staff developed a nature center along Pigeon Creek, which borders the school grounds. The students and staff later discovered that the school sits on land that was owned by Henry A. Terry, who came to the area in 1846 as a schoolmaster and then opened a nursery experimenting with plums and other fruits and flowers.  His research earned him state recognition and the title  “the wizard of the plums.”  He also developed many varieties of peonies.  Today flowers and trees are nurtured and grown by students, staff, and community members where this schoolmaster once experimented. 

 

During the 1997-98 school year the students, staff, parents and community raised funds for new playground equipment. The task was monumental but completed for the benefit of the children of the community and school.

 

Information from Recipes from the Flock:
A collection of recipes by the students, staff, parents
and friends of Crescent Elementary School

 

Photo Courtesy The Daily Nonpareil

 

In July 2006, a devastating fire destroyed the small community school.

On Monday, August 7th, the Board of Education confirmed its decision to designate Washington Elementary as the 2006-07 site for Crescent Elementary students and their teachers. The Board took into consideration the 3-4 months time estimated to complete the major renovations of the former Glendale elementary building as required by fire code for existing school buildings to house students. They also considered the estimated $250,000-$350,000 it would take to complete the project.

The community pulled together after the Crescent Elementary School fire. Diane Ostrowski, Supervisor of Community Services recognized all the Fund Raiser participants, individuals and groups that gave monetary donations, and all the “in kind” donations that have been given at the school board meeting on August 22, 2006. The following people/organizations were then recognized for their support: Crescent Booster Club, Community of Christ Church, Creighton Medical Associate, Ron and Michelle Vorthmann with Vorthmann Corral and Hog Heaven, Doug Coziahr with Fill and Food, Henry’s Diner, Denny’s Place, Gunn PTO, MidAmerican Energy Foundation, Woodman of the World, Visiting Nurse Association of Pottawattamie County, Walmart, St. John Lutheran Church, Council Bluffs Education Association, Iowa Western Community College Phi Theta Kappa Honorary Society, Gretna Middle School, Glenwood Community Schools, Omaha Public Schools, Jewish Community Center Preschool, Mutual of Omaha, Creighton Medical Associates, Walden Books, Learning Tools, Borders, Daake Design, Inc. and Hy-Vee.